It is the closest and easiest approach to rock climbing in Jasper. A 15 min. drive with a 20 min. hike makes the Rock Gardens the most popular crag. The climbing is steep to overhanging on limestone.
Many routes can be top roped with a 50m rope. Much of the rock on popular routes is quite firm, due to climbing traffic. North facing and shaded by trees, it tend to be cool on most days. There is no drinking water, so bring your own and don’t forget your lunch.
To reach the Rock Gardens, travel East on Highway 16 from Jasper to the intersection with the Maligne Lake Road. Follow the Maligne Lake Road for 3.1km to a left turn, marked by a sign, “FIFTH BRIDGE”. This road leads to a paved parking lots. Cross the footbridge and follow the trail, take the left fork. Less than 100m take a right turn on a smaller trail. The winding path progresses uphill, keep to the left fork. It eventually levels off as you approach the Rock Gardens. Keep a eye open for a little trail on the right who leads to the base of the cliff. If you miss that right turn, you will end up at the Boulder Garden.
Above all, strive to respect the area and keep it clean. We must all be careful to preserve its character as a great place to climb and practice.
- Alpine Club of Canada (Huts)
- Park Canada ( Parks information )
Information centre / Trail office
Jasper, Alberta T0E 1E0
Phone: (780) 852‑6176
Fax: (780) 852‑6152
- Alpine Art Eco-Tours ( Guided Eco Tours )
- Jasper Adventure Centre ( Guided Tours )
- Jasper Riding Stables (Pyramid Location, Horseback Tours)
- Jasper Park Stables Fairmont (Horseback Tours)
- Rocking K Stables (Horseback Tours)
- Tonquin Valley Backcountry ( Horseback, Backcountry Cabins )
- My Jasper Nanny ( Childcare Services )
- Tonquin Adventures (Horseback, Backcountry Cabins)
- Edge Control (Ski & Outdoor Store)
- Borderline “Snowfarmers” (Horse Tours)
- Jasper’s Whitewater Rafting Company (Rafting Tours)
- Rocky Mountain River Guides (Rafting Tours)
- Jasper Raft Tours (Rafting Tours)
- Maligne Adventures (Rafting Tours)
- Pure Outdoors (snowsports/watersports rentals)
- On-Line Sport & Tackle (Fishing Guides)