Ever wondered what is on the backside of Marmot Basin? Here are a couple of photos for you to look at. BEWARE, this is not an area to venture if you do not know the dangers that lie here.
Having said that, we cheated death or serious injuries this day. Testing out the south exposure (Portal Creek Side) was not a good idea as the snow was not stable on this day. We started to go across the bowl and a fracture line shot off about ten feet above us and across the bowl. We spun our skis around and high tailed it back to the ridge. We went down along the ridge on the other side (Whistlers Creek Side) and it was bomber and fun, so we decided to skin up and go for another run in the bowl.
Smiles on our faces was the days theme.
Access: From Jasper, head South, Hwy 93, turn to Marmot Basin
Trailhead: Marmot Basin Parking
- Alpine Art Eco-Tours ( Guided Eco Tours )
- Jasper Adventure Centre ( Guided Tours )
- Jasper Riding Stables (Pyramid Location, Horseback Tours)
- Jasper Park Stables Fairmont (Horseback Tours)
- Rocking K Stables (Horseback Tours)
- Tonquin Valley Backcountry ( Horseback, Backcountry Cabins )
- Jasper Motorcycle Tours ( Tours and Rental )
- My Jasper Nanny ( Childcare Services )
- Tonquin Adventures (Horseback, Backcountry Cabins)
- Edge Control (Ski & Outdoor Store)
- Borderline “Snowfarmers” (Horse Tours)
- Jasper’s Whitewater Rafting Company (Rafting Tours)
- Rocky Mountain River Guides (Rafting Tours)
- Jasper Raft Tours (Rafting Tours)
- Maligne Adventures (Rafting Tours)
- Pure Outdoors (snowsports/watersports rentals)
- On-Line Sport & Tackle (Fishing Guides)