It is the closest and easiest approach to rock climbing in Jasper. A 15 min. drive with a 20 min. hike makes the Rock Gardens the most popular crag. The climbing is steep to overhanging on limestone.
Many routes can be top roped with a 50m rope. Much of the rock on popular routes is quite firm, due to climbing traffic. North facing and shaded by trees, it tend to be cool on most days. There is no drinking water, so bring your own and don’t forget your lunch.
To reach the Rock Gardens, travel East on Highway 16 from Jasper to the intersection with the Maligne Lake Road. Follow the Maligne Lake Road for 3.1km to a left turn, marked by a sign, “FIFTH BRIDGE”. This road leads to a paved parking lots. Cross the footbridge and follow the trail, take the left fork. Less than 100m take a right turn on a smaller trail. The winding path progresses uphill, keep to the left fork. It eventually levels off as you approach the Rock Gardens. Keep a eye open for a little trail on the right who leads to the base of the cliff. If you miss that right turn, you will end up at the Boulder Garden.
Above all, strive to respect the area and keep it clean. We must all be careful to preserve its character as a great place to climb and practice.
Tour Outfitters LINKS
- Astoria Outfitting (Horseback Tours, Backcountry)
- Wild Current Outfitters (Rafting & Canoe Adventures)
- Alpine Art Eco-Tours (Guided Eco Tours)
- Maligne Rafting Adventures (Rafting Tours)
- Jasper’s Whitewater Rafting Company (Rafting Tours)
- Rocky Mountain River Guides (Rafting Tours)
- Jasper Raft Tours (Rafting Tours)
- Jasper Rafting Adventures (Rafting & Wildlife Tours)
- Jasper Adventure Centre (Guided Tours)
- Jasper Riding Stables (Horseback Tours)
- Rocking K Stables (Horseback Tours)
- Tonquin Valley Backcountry (Horseback, Backcountry Cabins)
- Tonquin Adventures (Horseback, Backcountry Cabins)