If you like flowers, you should put this hike on your list of must do!
A short hike or a full on camping and multi day backpacking. The access that I will mention is from Medicine Lake on the Maligne valley lake road. Start at the south end of Medicine Lake where there is a parking lot and day use area complete with a trailhead map and outhouse.
These winter shots are more for the cross country skiers that frequent the Maligne Valley.
An easy and gentle walk on a wide maintained trail is a great way to spend a day. You walk along side a creek and don’t forget to notice the flowers and the trees. From White Lady Slippers to Labrador tea, you’ll find many species that you might have to look up in a flower book. It might have been a late bloom season because there were flowers that should have been gone at time of writing this story. These photos were taken with a digital camera, but if you are going to take flower shots, bring a camera with macro capabilities.
The first lake that you will see is Beaver Lake, where there a boat docked for fishing or just a float on the lake (make arrangements from the fishing shops in Jasper to hire a boat). Summit Lakes does not take long to reach, it is just under 5 kilometres. As I mentioned before you can go for a multi day backpacking trip, by passing through Summit Lakes and head for Jacques Lake about 12 kilometres, where it connects with the South Boundary trail, a whole other story.
Access: From Jasper, head South, Maligne Lake Road
Trailhead: From Parking Lot
Distance: 12 – 14 km one way
Activities: Sights / Hiking / Camping / Biking
- Alpine Art Eco-Tours ( Guided Eco Tours )
- Jasper Adventure Centre ( Guided Tours )
- Jasper Riding Stables (Pyramid Location, Horseback Tours)
- Jasper Park Stables Fairmont (Horseback Tours)
- Rocking K Stables (Horseback Tours)
- Tonquin Valley Backcountry ( Horseback, Backcountry Cabins )
- My Jasper Nanny ( Childcare Services )
- Tonquin Adventures (Horseback, Backcountry Cabins)
- Edge Control (Ski & Outdoor Store)
- Borderline “Snowfarmers” (Horse Tours)
- Jasper’s Whitewater Rafting Company (Rafting Tours)
- Rocky Mountain River Guides (Rafting Tours)
- Jasper Raft Tours (Rafting Tours)
- Maligne Adventures (Rafting Tours)
- Pure Outdoors (snowsports/watersports rentals)
- On-Line Sport & Tackle (Fishing Guides)