North Boundary Trail
Be prepared to get your boots wet for this hike to one of the campsites on the North Boundary Trail. We (Lydia and I) access this route by Rock Lake in the Wilmore Wilderness Park. If you take the route from Celestine Lake, it takes about 33km, but if you take the route we took, it is only 13km. While driving to Rock Lake we encountered Elk, Goat, Sheep, Whitetail Deer and Mule deer.
The trail is well marked and beaten by horses. The gentle open terrain through this valley make this trip a walk in the park. Upgrades to the trail was noticeable as we crossed some newly built bridges by the Fly-in Trail Crew of 99 (FTC99). The sight of these bridges was definitely a blessing to our feet.
During rainy weather, you might come across water cresting slightly over older bridges on the far end. But the upgraded bridges are will generally serve well to keep your feet dry. There is a section of the creek crossing that you cannot avoid getting your feet wet, even after attempts to find shallow channels and pole vaulting across with no success! Squish, sloosh, squish …lucky the camp site is not that far.
Willow Creek Headquarters
Arriving at the Willow Creek Headquarters (warden station) we met up with friends from Jasper. You guessed it, the FTC99 (Sean, Angela, Mathieu and Pats). They were in for ten days of hard labor. We got to join them for dinner (a feast I might add) and asked them all about how their techniques of constructing and detailing these bridges. All I can say is, HARD WORK. The camp site is about two kilometres passed this station.
Since we knew the crew, we got invited to stay and camp out with them. Gladly taking them on their offer we enjoyed music, fine food and friends. Visitors on horseback passed through to the horse corral at Willow Creek camp site.
Tour Outfitters LINKS
- Wild Current Outfitters (Rafting & Canoe Adventures)
- Alpine Art Eco-Tours (Guided Eco Tours)
- Maligne Rafting Adventures (Rafting Tours)
- Jasper’s Whitewater Rafting Company (Rafting Tours)
- Rocky Mountain River Guides (Rafting Tours)
- Jasper Raft Tours (Rafting Tours)
- Jasper Rafting Adventures (Rafting & Wildlife Tours)
- Jasper Adventure Centre (Guided Tours)
- Jasper Riding Stables (Horseback Tours)
- Rocking K Stables (Horseback Tours)
- Tonquin Valley Backcountry (Horseback, Backcountry Cabins)
- Tonquin Adventures (Horseback, Backcountry Cabins)