Top 5 activities in the Spring
Spring is a great time to enjoy the warmer weather that brings with it. Flowers starts to bloom, taking a walk along the banks of the receding ice from the lakes and rivers, running through the valley trails when the paths are drying up, biking on the roadways when the gravel is cleaned up, alpine skiing in slush and the adventure tours are just a few of the activities you can enjoy in Jasper National Park.
It may seem that we use vehicles everywhere in our daily lives, but we live in the National Park and to appreciate the natural setting of this wonderland, a simple activity of walking in a pace you are comfortable with has many benefits. There is a wonderful Discovery Trail that encompass the town of Jasper that is well maintained and also equipped with interpretive signs along the entire route.
This trail is great for families and not too diffcult. The snow is normally cleared or melted by this time of the year.
Staying lower than 1200 metre in elevation, you should have no problems riding those trails. We do appreciate cyclsts to stay off the trail, if the trail is wet or muddy, it gives the trail a better experience when it is dry later on in the summer.
Road cycling is a really good option once the gravel is off the road. The Gran Fondo has now put Jasper in the mix and happens just around the end of Spring.
YES, there is still skiing in the spring. The alpine skiing is still available till the first week of May. The locals tend to wait till the afternoon sun hits and the snow softens up just sweet enough plow through the snow with little or no effort.
The backcountry still offers some touring, but this activity should be done with a guide. The avalanche gets a little higher with the flucution of temperature.
Why dining you say for activity? For one, there are special prices when the Summer is just around the corner. Some of the establishments tend to create their new menu for the upcoming onslaught of tourists to perfect their dishes.
As locals, we tend to taste these dishes so that we are aware of what to recommend and what to avoid. You do not believe how many times the visitors asks a local for recommendations.
You might laugh, but this is a thing. You can also get bargains from others that are purging their stuff. The thrift store at the United church gets a influx of donated items this time of year.
The new staff for the summer is amping up, so they will be hunting and searching for household items for their abode.
Be prepared to get your boots wet for this hike to one of the campsites on the North Boundary Trail. If you take the route from Celestine Lake, it takes about 33km, but if you take the route we took, it is only 13km. While driving to Rock Lake we encountered Elk, Goat, Sheep, Whitetail Deer and Mule deer.
Tour Outfitters LINKS
- Astoria Outfitting (Horseback Tours, Backcountry)
- Wild Current Outfitters (Rafting & Canoe Adventures)
- Alpine Art Eco-Tours (Guided Eco Tours)
- Maligne Rafting Adventures (Rafting Tours)
- Jasper’s Whitewater Rafting Company (Rafting Tours)
- Rocky Mountain River Guides (Rafting Tours)
- Jasper Raft Tours (Rafting Tours)
- Jasper Rafting Adventures (Rafting & Wildlife Tours)
- Jasper Adventure Centre (Guided Tours)
- Jasper Riding Stables (Horseback Tours)
- Rocking K Stables (Horseback Tours)
- Tonquin Valley Backcountry (Horseback, Backcountry Cabins)
- Tonquin Adventures (Horseback, Backcountry Cabins)
- Angela’s Accommodations
- Accommodations in the Rockies
- Bear’s Den
- B & G Accommodations
- Cabin Creek Accommodations
- Roony’s Accommodations
- The Gingerbread House
- The Wall’s
- The Wilgosh's
- Maxwell Lake BnB (Hinton)
Shops & Services LINKS
- My Jasper Nanny (Childcare & Dog Sitting Services)
- My Jasper Massage (Massage & Holistic Nutrition)
- Edge Control (Ski & Outdoor Store)
- Pure Outdoors (Ski & Outdoor Store)
- On-Line Sport & Tackle (Fishing Guides & Outdoor Store)
- Run Jasper (Running Activitity)
- A Different Angle Photography (Photographers)
- Weddings Jasper (Wedding Services Listing)
- Jasper Park Chamber (Jasper Chamber of Commerce)
- Beryl Cahill www.berylcahill.com
LODGING WEST IN BC
- Mica Mountain Lodge
(Located near Mount Robson, half an hour to the
Jasper National Park boundary)
- Dreamcatcher Inn
(Located near Valemount Just over an hour west of Jasper)