Skate Canadian Style!
Over the years, skating has become an indoor activity, something you do in covered rinks, hockey arenas, even shopping malls. But you haven’t really skated until you’ve enjoyed a day on a frozen lake or river, something in Jasper you can do all winter long.
Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge has skating on Lake Mildred. The Lodge clears a rectangular skating rink just a short walk from the main lodge. They also keep it light for night skating. At Lake Mildred, the lodge clears a giant oval that may have you puffing after only one or two times around. There are also usually two rectangular rinks cleared inside the oval where on most days, you’ll find a spirited game or two of shinny. There are benches to sit on, and often a bonfire and free hot chocolate. It’s a great way to spend an afternoon whether you’re staying at the lodge or not.
Pyramid Lake is another super spot for skating. Take Pyramid Lake Road across the Activity Centre for six kilometres to Pyramid Lake Resort where hotel staff have cleared up a portion of the lake near the shore.
And while lakes are the most popular skating areas, you can also venture onto the frozen Snaring River off the Snaring Road that branches from Highway 16 east of the town. Skating on natural surfaces can take some getting used to. Some of the cleared rinks are flooded but you don’t get that Zamboni-like smoothness you’d find at the local indoors arena.
Other lakes that might be good if conditions are right.
You have to watch for bumps, notches and the odd bare patch later in the season. You’ll also hear the occasional loud crack even on the thickest of ice in the dead of winter. Use common sense, if you don’t feel comfortable on the lake, don’t go!
Scroll your mouse over the thumbnails and get info:
Skating Mildred LakeThe Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge maintains a skating ovals in the winter.…
Preparing The Ice On The LakeWith cold temperatures and low snow fall, the lake ice is now…
Getting that itch to skate?This was Patricia Lake on Monday 5th of December. The ice is…
Catch a local gameSometimes we focus on the outdoors when we live in a wonderland.…
Skating Talbot LakeAccess: Hwy 16 Parking: Yes Trailhead: 20 minutes east of Jasper townsite…
Skating Pyramid LakeSkating Pyramid Lake Winter destination resort and open to public for winter…
Located in Jasper
Located in Jasper
Hinton & Area
- Pyramid Lake Resort (Lodging and Skating on the Lake)
- The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge (Lodging and Skating on Lake Mildred)
- Alpine Art Eco-Tours ( Guided Eco Tours )
- Jasper Adventure Centre ( Guided Tours )
- Jasper Riding Stables (Pyramid Location, Horseback Tours)
- Jasper Park Stables Fairmont (Horseback Tours)
- Rocking K Stables (Horseback Tours)
- Tonquin Valley Backcountry ( Horseback, Backcountry Cabins )
- My Jasper Nanny ( Childcare Services )
- Tonquin Adventures (Horseback, Backcountry Cabins)
- Edge Control (Ski & Outdoor Store)
- Borderline “Snowfarmers” (Horse Tours)
- Jasper’s Whitewater Rafting Company (Rafting Tours)
- Rocky Mountain River Guides (Rafting Tours)
- Jasper Raft Tours (Rafting Tours)
- Maligne Adventures (Rafting Tours)
- Pure Outdoors (snowsports/watersports rentals)
- On-Line Sport & Tackle (Fishing Guides)